Friday, August 28, 2009

Spike that

tips

Well summer almost gone. I know this because the two local fairs I’ve attended over the years are in a neck-and-neck race to usher it out.

I’m thinking I’ll just take this whole weekend off so I can rest up for the dueling fairs' arrival next week. It's for the best. It'll give me a chance to practice my aim with pointy projectiles and to stretch my stomach so’s I can eat my weight in fried dough.

The Schaghticoke Fair, Routes 67 and 40 - Schaghticoke, starts Wednesday and runs through Labor Day. It’s the only fair I ever attended that boasted an amazing, ferocious, secretary-robot on the midway. I half expected her to geek a chicken. Ah … memories. Attractions include agriculture exhibits, music, entertainment, animals, rides, food, grandstand and stage shows. Motor coach parking available. Admission is $10, children 13 and under free. Week-long pass for admission is $30. Advance sale tickets at Price Chopper are $8 with advantage card. Visit www.schaghticokefair.com for schedules and events.

The Columbia Couty Fair, Routes 66 and 203 - Chatham, kicks off Wednesday and continues through Labor Day. I’ll never forget the year I entered my dog in a 4-H obedience show (I was 11) and some jokester from the livestock barns sicked his goat on my dog. Alls I’m saying is it was a good thing my dog was so well behaved. Fun, fun, fun. Attractions include Painted Rodeo, demolition derbies, monster truck pull. There’s plenty of rides and attractions for the kids including talent competitions and various food eating contests. If your kid has a thing for watermelon, this is the place to be at the tail’s end of summer. Tickets are $10 at the fair gate except on Sunday when tickets are $12. Advance sale tickets are available at local Price Chopper stores and will save you $2 for daily admissions and $4 on Sunday. Visit www.columbiafair.com for a complete listing of schedules and events.

No comments: