Monday, December 20, 2010

Updates and downgrades

seven

My camera has decided it needs a break.

Its protests come in the form of noise, focus problems and exposure maladies.

It's almost like the surprise of film without the happy results.

More than slightly disappointing.

There's only a few days left before I conclude my 365 project ...

And I don't suppose Santa will be hitting up the Nikon elves on my behalf this Christmas, but there may be enough for a couple of rolls of film and brief return to the analog days.

I've been missing film almost as much as I've been missing life before Internets.

Really.

It's true.

Last weekend I turned off the phone. Barely touched the computer. And the world didn't spin off its axis. It was a relief, really.

There's something about imposing goals (on something you like to do) and trying to meet them (in a to-the-letter sort of way) ... It sucks the joy right out of it.

So. ...

I'll finish the project, but I'll likely be phoning it in.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That is one of the main reasons we camp as a family...all summer. No video games, no computers, no tv, no radio. Just fishing, hiking, swimming, sharing, listening...no "noise" to get in the way. So peaceful!

Lori said...

I've been disconnecting more and more from the computer and it kind of feels good. Although I sometimes miss stuff that's happening with friends...I chime in late on things. Still, I used to have to check my email first thing in the morning and keep up Flickr, FB, blogs and a bazillion other things daily. Now I feel less inclined and more relaxed. Being disconnected can help you connect with yourself, I think.

And even though the focus is off, that photo of her is just lovely. Really.