Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Unnecessary translations

Will you adopt me?


Mostly I don't like thinking about the lowest point you can reach as a parent. It's a dark place that doesn't often take kindly to humor. It can also be like poking an injured creature with a stick.

It is neither nice nor necessary.

Although this parent's more respectable cousin (also known as Mother Of The Year) has witnessed her lowest points at dental practices all across America. It is here that we find out how much damage we've done with our permissive ways.

"Oh. What? ... How many cavities? Does she even have that many teeth?"

The dentists always tell you not to take it personally. It's not an indictment of your parenting abilities. It could be genetics. But we know by their wide-eyed smiles that THEIR kids have perfect choppers.

But that initial defeated feeling isn't the lowest point you can reach.

You shrug, accept and then you resolve to do better. You've tried to get them to brush properly. You've employed timers and flossers and toothpastes of all flavors, but it's not enough. You've tried to be diligent, but you fall just short of trying your best. You know there's always room for improvement. At least that's what you've been telling the kids.

Disappointment fades to forgotten.

No, you hit the low when your kid ... happily sitting in the examining chair watching a movie ... asks the dentist the most important question of all:

"Will you adopt me?"

And as you fail to translate what he really meant by the word "adopt" you succeed in feeling the sharpest truth of what was said: If she did adopt him, at least he'd have better teeth.

4 comments:

Albany Kid said...

Oh, my gosh. Your child wants to be adopted by a dentist? Aren't dentists scary? And does that mean you're scarier?

ROFL!

toyfoto said...

I'm way scarier than a dentist. I may even be scarier than Steve Martin playing the dentist in the movie version of Little Shop of Horrors.

The funniest part, though, was the dentist's reaction to the whole thing: "Sure. I can adopt you .. as a patient."

chhipa said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know

what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.

Web Design

Unknown said...


Thanks a lot for sharing. You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to
my study at this moment, and I am really happy I discovered your website. However, I
would like to see more details about this topic. I'm going to keep coming back here.


Architectural Walkthrough
Architectural Visualization
Architectural Rendering
3D Animation
Product Animation
3D Modeling
Corporate Presentation
3D Images
Real Estate Publicity
Multimedia Presentation