Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Behold the power of books

She saw the box sitting on our front porch before I even pulled into the driveway.

MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY ... there's a package ... maybe it's for me?

Mail is big at our house. Huge.

I was crossing my fingers it was the Halloween costume I ordered for her from some scabby Internet company, but seeing as how I'd received no notice of its impending arrival (or any indication they had planned to procure said item) I was fairly certain it wasn't that.

"I have an idea. You get Silas out of the car and I will go and get the package," she said clenching her fists and hunching down in her carseat as if the sheer force of my approval would propel her from the vehicle. (We usually don't let her mill about the driveway on her own, as it sometimes is used as a detour by neighborhood drivers who are in a hurry.)

"OK. You can get the package, but remember to watch for cars."

I hadn't even had time to unlatch the boy from his seat before she was back carrying a box that had "AMAZON" printed on the side and her name hand lettered on the top.

"Look at that, honey. It's for you."

"Really? For me? Show me my name," she said skeptically.

"A-N-N-A-B-E-L," I pointed at each letter. "Last I checked, that's you."

So upstairs we went, me with the boyo and all of our bags and she with the box, carefully placing it on the step above before climbing higher.

"Can we open it now," she asks once I've put down the bags.

I get a pair of scissors and start to score the tape. She worries I'll hurt myself and tells me to be careful as I open the flaps and reveal a card from Aunt Dody and Uncle Joe.

They are presents she, as a new big sister, can use to amuse her little brother. Books and puppets.

"PUPPETS" She squeals with the enthusiam only a three-year-old can muster, AND BOOKS!!!!

"Can you read them to me ... I mean Silas? "

"Now?"

"Before dinner?"


**** That bookmark over yonder on the right? Available. FOR FREE. Just send me a note with your address and I'll send one to you. You can stick it in your Harry Potter books if ya like.

1 comment:

Binky said...

I'll take books over a Halloween costume, anyday :) I'm not suprised Annabel loves books. I could tell just by reading about her.