Thursday, May 03, 2007

Don't get attached to things ...



Let things attach to you.

I have officially purchased the first new item in anticipation of the arrival of Thing 2.

It's the Peanut Shell baby sling from Goo-Ga Style, Inc. And it was on sale.

I was eager to try it out since my Internet buddies are all singing the praising of slings, specificially the Kangaroo Korner brand, and I was recently witness to two (count 'em, TWO) amazing displays of baby slinging beauty:

*The first was during a baby shower where a cousin gave her expecting sister-in-law what I considered to be the most beautiful sling on the face of the planet. But OOOOOOH what was the name? Who made it? Baby brain and no pen are not a good combination!

*The second was on an outting with a friend whose baby sling was little more than an intricately tied shawl twice her height. Just looking at it made my head spin. No way could I do that, and I know if I tried the kid would be in a constant state of peril.

For Ittybit, we used an adjustable front pack, similar to the much touted BABY BJÖRN, but half the price. It was wonderful for about four or five months, until she doubled her birth weight and caused my back to protest. It was also cumbersome to put on. Straps and buckles had to be adjusted and readjusted every time.

This time I knew I wanted something that I could just put on and go. Something that seemed fool proof. Something that wouldn't make me want to throw the baby out with the proverbial bathwater. But here I am balking at the median $60 price tag. So as is my way, I found an agreeable alternative -- far short of learning to sew -- a clearance/discontinued item in an online that looked festive.

It came in the mail yesterday ... I was so excited to see it I practically chewed through the Tyvek mailing pouch to get at it. In the process I unfolded the precisely folded sling and stood in the kitchen with what resembled a gigantic fabric Cherio that looked like it was on LSD.

I am never going to figure this out, I lamented as I remembered the ALL SALES FINAL deal that made the price so attractive.

I found a pocket! ... NO, the baby is DEFINITELY NOT fitting in there.

I looked at the picture on the brochure ... 'how do they ...'

I folded it up, put it back in the bag and walked away.

Maybe it's too small. It looks to small. What was I thinking? I am not that small.

I returned to the package a few minutes later -- unable to give up on the puzzle -- and extracted the sling again. This time I tried folding it in and slipping it over my shoulder. ... Ahhhh. Maybe ... Nope. It's upside down.

I turn it inside out and try again. There! That's IT! I've got it.

But then I wonder. 'OK, I've got it on, but how to I get the baby in there? Maybe I should test this on a doll.'



So off I go, looking for the most baby-like toy in Ittybit's collection. I settle for Elmo.

"Mama? What are you doing?"

"I'm just testing the new baby gear out on the little monster."

"Does it fit."

"Yes, I think it does."

"Well ... daddy can be pretty, too."

"What do you mean?"

"If daddy wore that he'd be pretty, too."


I've no doubt he'd look mighty purdy in this, but I have a confession: The Peanut Sling so comfee I may just wear Elmo around the house until there's a suitable replacement.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I'm sure you'll have the sling all figured out before you know it =)

Anonymous said...

Good purchase! We sling Charlotte and love it--it's a lifesaver during plane trips, especially. Ours, however, is a plain black Maya wrap. We are not as pretty...

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Slings are great--I love the pouch you've got there. D was too big for much pouch/sling action by the time I got over my fear of squishing him, so my only ass-vice is don't be squeamish--babies love being squished, and your back will thank you for it! :)

Amy said...

I've seen so many women with these and both they and the babes look so comfy.

I love the print, too, and if that is you in the picture I hate you because you look AMAZING.

If I ever get up the guts to try No. 2, sling it will be.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the baby wearing post! I am looking for one online to purchase for my baby that will be born in 1.5 weeks.

I too used the Baby Bjorn the first time and it was hurting my back before she was 6 months.

I think a sling is definitely worth a try this time. And I LOVE the fabric of the one you got. Very fun!

juliloquy said...

I love that your ring matches the sling!