Thursday, December 13, 2007

Snow job


from the archives, originally uploaded by toyfoto.



Jed finally convinced me, hours before the storm, that it was probably the better part of valor -- seeing as my new commute has me driving at dawn over hill and dale with little in the way of road plowing -- to swap my good all-season radials for the studded snows I haven't used since global warming thumbed its nose at our northeast winters.

How long has it been since I've personally brought a car to the shop to have the winter changeover? You know, the schlepping of snowtires you already own (four in my case) to the clipshop tire store so that their top-notch technicians can spend all of 12 minutes spinning and perching, all while making that satisfying 'weeeeerrrrrrr' sound of the lug-gun.

Because ... Um ... I know it's expensive but 22-freaking-dollars per tire?

Just seems like highway robbery to me.

I just have a feeling I've been snowed.

3 comments:

Firestarter5 said...

They charged you $88 to remove your summer tires and install your snow tires? Girlfriend, you've been had.

I get my tires changed for 15 to 20 bucks TOTAL.

I'd find a new garage.

just another mother said...

Wow - I live in NC; and although we don't use 'snow tires' often, we only get charged 9.00 per tire for dismount, remount and balance! GEEZ - I'd write someone about that, sounds like you got robbed. YIKES!

Redneck Mommy said...

I have no idea how much they charge to switch the tires because I make my husband do it. Seems only fair since I do every damn other thing.