Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Oh, so amusing ... almost

little silas on the prairie, originally uploaded by toyfoto.

I'm not sure when it happened, because it sure seems like a recent occurance, but I have yet to get through a routine medical visit in less than an hour. In fact, 60 minutes these days seems like a walk in the park compared to the marathon waits we've had lately.

Because I am a glutton for punishment, I have been taking both kids to well-kid visits instead of making separate appointments. It's a little easier as SIlas becomes a little more independent but it's still a chore. With Annabel I get the chorus of AM-I-GONNA-GET-A-SHOT? AM-I-GONNA-GET-A-SHOT? AM-I-GONNA-GET-A-SHOT? AM-I-GONNA-GET-A-SHOT? AM-I-GONNA-GET-A-SHOT? AM-I-GONNA-GET-A-SHOT? AM-I-GONNA-GET-A-SHOT? for the majority of our drive, and our time in the waiting room and in the examination room as we wait for the doctor.


Until she hides under the exam table and has to be dragged out kicking and screaming.

Good. Times.

Silas, of course, has a special doctor - in addition to his regular doctor - that he has to see. A urologist.

And that doctor is the only one within 100 miles (or so) who even sees children. So we're lucky that when I take three hours out of my day for an ultrasound and a consult, I really only have to drive across the river.

But I'm not bitter. I'll take the "thanks for being patient," compliment.

Of course we weren't terribly patient. Silas (whom they called Cialis again? WTF?) spent our wait bashing my cell phone and keys against the metal table to hear them clang, and rearranging the specimen cups that were presumably hidden under the sink. (Don't worry. They WERE clean.) He made a hat out of his diaper (also clean) and a sled out of his diaper changing kit, and yelled WEEE! very loudly as he pretended to whiz down the mountain.

That all gets old quickly, though, and we might have been asleep had there been any comfortable chairs but alas, there were none.

Anyway, the good news in all of this is that Silas, who weighs 19 pounds, six ounces(below 5%) and measures 31 inches tall(10 -25%) -- as compared to Annabel's 32 pounds and 39.5 inches {both 5 %} -- and who has a head circumference of 47.5 cm (25-50%), has shown slight improvement from his last renal ultrasound in July.

So, while not greatly improved he's not backtracking. More watchful waiting, which is good news.

Of course, there is bad news, too. My cell phone is still working.


Fairly Odd Mother said...

I had a UTI this weekend and got to take all three kids into the bathroom with me on Monday so that I could pee in a cup at the doctor's office. It was like a field trip for them. MOMMY, why are you peeing in the cup! MOMMY, where is the cup! MOMMY, what are they going to do with your pee!

All yelled in the tiny exam room so that all could hear. Good times.

Glad Silas (Cialis, snort!) is doing better.

Anonymous said...

I was the same way about the shots as a little one...Humm, Actually I still am, I just don't let anyone know.
The funny thing is when I split my head open playing football I just put tape on it and continued to play...Once I was at the hospital and seen the Nurse coming at me with the shot...I closed my eyes.

Maybe I developed a phobia? The good thing is that I will never be an intravenous drug user.

Later, Kcoz

Binky said...

That Cialis thing will never get old!

Looks like my little guy is on Silas's growth plan. Lately I've been enjoying the fact that he's remaining so tiny and huggable for longer than I thought he would.

Glad all is well with the kiddos and that you all made it out of there unscathed.